Sunday, June 12, 2011

Back in the Saddle!


Just settling down for a latte and the chance to write a bit here.  I mentioned in a recent post that I hadn't had a photo shoot for a couple of weeks.  In fact, I hadn't had a "good" shoot for something like six weeks.  That's all changed today, after having a shoot yesterday  The shot above here is from yesterday's set (pretty much an "as shot" picture).  On top of having some great shots, I had that special dividend of encountering a really special person along the path of getting the work accomplished.

Just like most any shoot I do, I was busy for several days before the shoot shopping for shoes, dresses, and props as ideas were coming to me specifically aligned to this model (Grace).  I have to admit I was a less enthusiastic than most of the time leading up the shoot, as a recent couple experiences with cancelations had really let the wind out of my sails.  But I'm really pleased with a lot of the images, and especially, with seeing the realization of some things I had been thinking about for some time. It's a great feeling to start of with this seed of an idea, and slowly piece together the implementation details, then finally find the right model who's going to pair up well with the concept.  So I'm feeling pretty good about this endeavor once again.

One of the really cool things that happened in leading up to this shoot was related to pulling off an idea, and like I've said before, encountering some wonderful people along the path.
 

I'd been thinking of using a saxophone in a shot for awhile, and this week I thought I'd give that a go.  Problem is, I don't have a saxophone, and I don't really want to buy one and then pile it up somewhere in the house.  (Aside - Isn't this ever the problem for fashion/model photographers?  How do you get props together without spending loads of money and accumulating a bunch of junk you can no longer use?).  I decided to try looking in Craigslist, to see if someone was selling a used sax somewhere nearby, and maybe I could rent it from them for a day or two.

I couldn't find anyone nearby selling a sax, so I started improvising.  My search was redirected to any kind of horn, with the main emphasis being proximity.  I found somebody selling a trombone.  Perfect!  I can't imagine why anybody would really want a trombone, except for as a prop for a photo shoot, or something to annoy the neighbors, but there it was - the perfect prop.  In my mind's eye, the trombone can be quite sexy instrument if held in the right hands and in the right pose.

I had never contacted anyone on CL before for under this pretext, so wasn't sure what kind of reaction I'd get.  I was pleasantly surprised.  The lady selling it told me she had a buyer already, but I could borrow it for a day if I wanted.  I went to pick it up, and tried to hand her $10 for her trouble, but she absolutely refused.  She was a wonderful person.  Here she is trusting a complete stranger, and unwilling to take a small bit of compensation for her trouble, even as I drive off with her trombone! 

These are the kinds of encounters that really encourage me in this whole artistic pursuit - the connections made.  I just dropped the horn off at the lady's house this morning, along with a bouquet of flowers.  I figured she could refuse the money, but would have to take the flowers.  Hehe.  I was right; she was so delighted.  By the time I arrived at the coffee shop, she had sent me a really nice thank you note.  Really made my day - and hers! 

So, let me summarize by saying the following.  Yes, I was really pleased with the work we did yesterday, but perhaps even more so was this special chance to meet and connect with another human being, even a complete stranger, and make life a little bit better in someone's life for just a few moments.  Maybe that's what keeps me going.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment